View Single Post
Old
05-03-2004, 09:14 PM
nyr5186

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blu3shirt
man, from the sound of it lundqvist is ready for the NHL right now. where does that leave blackburn? surely one of the two will end up being traded. there cant be two franchise-potential goalies here.

it probably wont be a problem for a few seasons or so, but who do you guys see as the Rangers goalie of the future?
I think choosing between two potential franchise goalies is a problem every team in the league would love to have. They'll drive each other to work harder and get better. In the end, the one who impresses the most stays for the next 10 years. The other gets traded for a commodity.

As for who will come out on top, you can make a strong case for both. At this point, trying to predict that would just be a crapshoot. Blackburn has the raw skills and the mental persona to be an elite goalie in the NHL someday, which is why he was drafted so high. The question is whether he'll fully recover from basically three years of lost development time. Lundqvist, OTOH, came out of nowhere and dominated the Swedish Elite League for the past two seasons, playing against guys much older than him. He's widely considered the best young Swedish goalie in the world and, by all accounts, is set to come over and challenge for a spot on the Rangers. Gun to my head, I'd say Blackburn has slightly higher potential, but Lundqvist has less question marks. Either way, it'll make for great competition in the next few years, which should bring out the best in both of them.