View Single Post
Old
05-04-2004, 01:55 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien
I saw Deveaux twice this year, tho' actually, I was paying more attention to Ruzicka. But FWIW, Deveaux didn't seem to have great games for me. He always seems to have PIM (and others list him as a rough guy), but he seemed a little bit tentative in that area to me. I dunno, like if anybody remembers Brashear when he first came around... it's like, he was a huge guy, and he could get the job done anytime he had to, but he was either a bit relaxed about it, or just wanted to show some other dimension to his game instead. When I saw that he had 151 PIM at the end of this year, I couldn't believe it was the same guy, because he seemed relatively placid when I watched him.

He was on the PP, I didn't notice him on PK. I don't think he has a lick of offense to bring to the NHL, though. He doesn't seem to have "hockey sense" either for generating offense or for anticipating plays and being a top defensive player. Maybe if somebody lights a big fire under him and gets that big body going, he could be a Brashear type... a top calibre big crasher/fighter on your 4th line. It's worth signing him to the bare minimum contract just to see if that could ever happen, IMO. But I wouldn't hold my breath on it.

Take that with a great big grain of salt, though, since of course I know nothing about the kid's character, and I only saw 2 games... I'm just kind of spinning out my general impressions from a hopelessly insufficient sampling.

I agree that someone needs to light a fire under his to get him going. It seems that when he has it going, he can be an effective player, but when he's not moving his feet he is more of a big plyon on ice. Brashear is not a bad example, I guess I never really considered that, but it does seem to fit. I see more offensive abilities in him then you, but I agree his defenisve game needs work. But a guy like Jarvis may be able to work with him.