View Single Post
Old
03-25-2008, 10:31 PM
Headcoach

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trepanated View Post
No, he simply said, in effect, make the switch, and you'll be better. Although in this case it came from a very knowledeable poster, I'm very wary of people who say "this method works for 100% of people in 100% of circumstances. Do it." I deliberately chose a dramatic counter-example simply to illustrate that there do exist some players who can be successful hockey players with their writing hand on the bottom of the stick.
If I am not mistaken, I think I said: "If you make the change, your shot will only improve!"

I don't recall saying that it was 100% a guarantee that it will work. And please don't mistake this for weakness thinking that I am recanting. This is not the case. However, from my past experience, I have come to recognize how players shoot, stance, leverage...etc, that they have been shown the improper way of shooting and generally it comes from poor coaching.

Generally this poor coaching starts in the pro-shop. Just because this guy (whomever) works in a pro-shop, doesn't mean that he / she knows what he / she is talking about. Mainly they are there to sell equipment, not teach you the fundemental and mechanics of shooting.

However, it would be logical for the seller to take a shooting course so that they make sure to ask the right questions. And, maybe a shooting course isn't the answer. Maybe just asking the right question and listening might be more important.

Quote:
What does youth hockey have to do with anything?
This is generally where you see most of the problems. Yes, it doesn't pertain to this posting. I think he was trying to make a point that if this type of correction needs to be made, it should be at the youth level, where you see this problem all the time.

Headcoach is offline   Reply With Quote