Old
03-27-2008, 11:31 PM
nine_inch_fang

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to nine_inch_fang
Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead View Post
Which raises several questions, hopefully someone could answer:

Why would Korn describe a mechanical issue as being snakebit? He's clearly treats goaltending as a science and I believe is excellent at it. He knows there is a problem, right?
Yeah he knows there is a problem. My guess at answering your question would be that he is referring to the fact Mason will get his mechanics going for a game but he'll be thinking to much then the next game he starts reading and reacting but loses his mechanics. It's like he can chew gum and walk at the same time.

Quote:
What is the mechanical issue on the 5 hole? I'm far from an expert but it seems like he has a hitch in his motion to both drop to the ice and close the legs-- or to be more precise, it seems like he has divided the two into distinct steps, so he drops then closes whereas other goalies seem to be closing as they drop. It also seems like he doesn't get his lower legs (below the knees) positioned correctly so if the puck gets into there it often bounces around and through. Or is it just slow reaction time? Something else?
I would have to disagree with P303G here a little. Mason has a hard time keeping his stick on the ice to cover the hole. And since his problems have compounded he's having a hard time keeping his pads together while down on the ice. Couple that with the stick coming up and there's bound to be problems.

Quote:
Was his lateral movement this bad last year? I understand it isn't world class but it wasn't obviously a problem on a consistent basis.
His lack of lateral movement killed us in the first series against the Sharks and the effectiveness of the wrap around and cross ice pass is obviously well known by other teams. Any time that there is a cross ice pass that results in a quick shot that is on net it is almost guaranteed to be in the net. This was something that was very noticeable in our first game against the Sharks last year with Vokoun in net. San Jose tried this play several times to start the game but couldn't beat Vokoun where as Mason couldn't stop any of them in the playoffs.

nine_inch_fang is offline   Reply With Quote