View Single Post
Old
05-05-2004, 07:04 PM
loveshack2

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersPhantoms33
I think you could make a very good case that Esche stole game 6. The two goals he let in were goals he really didn't have much of a chance on, and he made countless big saves late in the third and in OT, like the one on Sundin and Domi which almost ended it.
He did make some good saves but the fact that he allowed the Leafs to score two goals in the 3rd period to tie the game pretty well disqualifies it from being a "steal". I never said he didnt play well, but he didn't win the game for his team. If anyone stands out from last nights game as having a stand-out performance it's Roenick and Sundin not Esche or Belfour. I'm not trying to be down on Esche here because I actually think he's done quite well this year he's proven that he is a good goalie, I just dont think he's proven that he's a great goalie yet. On the other hand he hasn't shown that he's not one either.

Its not really fair to compare him to guys like Khabibulin and Nabakov who've been in the league for years and shown that they are top quality players year after year. Kiprusoff has only played half a year but he's been his team's MVP and seems to make highlight reel saves time after time after time and has been nominated for the Vezina already. Give Esche some more time and if he can continue to play at a high level I think you'll find people willing to give him more credit.

Last edited by loveshack2: 05-05-2004 at 07:09 PM.