View Single Post
Old
05-05-2004, 06:37 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi
I would love to see Paul come home here, but we're loaded on left wing, and I dont think Paul would sign with Vancouver to be the 3rd line LW!
with a new management system, and with the pressures on Nonis, after Burke being let go despite putting the franchise on track, I don't think anything at this point is written in stone - such as our top 2 LWers still being our top 2.

Naslund isn't going anywhere... but it's not hard to move Daniel to the 3rd unit - he's not a defensive liability there, and besides despite on paper the Sedins being on the 2nd line, they've been getting 3rd line icetime for a while now.

Also with Cooke showing he is capable of being as effective on the right side, anything can really happen.

Maybe Nonis goes out and gets a new 2nd line left winger (Kariya) and a 2nd line center (??) and then moves Cooke to the right wing on that line... moves the Sedins with Linden (or King, or whoever) to the 3rd unit.

This could make sense too if they go out and get players like Kariya - who have had injury problems because of their size (or whatever else)... this way you have a reliable pair who can slide into the 2nd unit without any problems ... could also lead to taking a risk on an injury prone center (like Allison or Lindros), because you cover yourself by having a guy like Henrik who's capable of stepping up anytime (this also makes a lot of sense to me, because we have Kesler or Reid who could play in Manitoba, and come up to cover for injuries and play in the 3rd or 4th spot).

I just can't see the status quo with Nonis coming in... there was a reason that Burke wasn't re-signed, despite his excellent performance on the financial side, and you don't just get rid of an asset to any organization like that just because he didn't get along with a guy who's never around the team anyways (McCammon).

Changes are coming up, and we're pretty well prepared to take risks on some injury prone or aging players... but don't be surprised to not see the Sedins on the 2nd unit next year (or even on the team, although I hope they don't move them).