View Single Post
Old
05-05-2004, 07:44 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RallyKiller
If Kariya will play for what he's worth it's possible but if he wants to win a cup I don't know if Vancouver is the place.
why not?? it's no bigger a risk than a lot of other places... there's a new GM in town, and it's clear that ownership wanted more on-ice success than what Burke was able to provide... I wouldn't be surprised to see the team take some big risks.

right now, as I see it the West especially, if not both conferences are basically wide open for the next hockey season... there will be tons of free agents, and many teams will change... there will also be a good number of retiring players and the changing of the guard has already begun.

In the last two years, the Western conference finals has seen two teams that weren't in the playoffs the year before... next season, anything can happen... Kariya or any player for that matter, know that there is no guarentee whereever they go - look what happened to him this year, wanting to go to a team that they felt could go all the way - and they ended up losing their division of the first time in 10 years.

2 years ago, if at the start of the season anyone said the West final would be Anaheim-Minnesota, most people would have said they're crazy.... at the beginning of this past year if anyone said that San Jose and Calgary would meet in the finals, they'd still say you're nuts... so how can you possibly predict what teams will be there when the CBA changes, free agency is like it's never been before, and some of the league's biggest stars might not even be back??