View Single Post
Old
05-06-2004, 02:46 AM
Epsilon
#TeamRaccoon

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kolanos
Nobody is disputing Kovalchuk's offensive talent. But he's not a complete package. Heatley plays a consistent all-around game and is the guy to build around. Pavel Bure had a ton of success when he was young like Kovalchuk, and I am not saying Kovalchuk will end up like Bure -- but they're similiar personalities and they play a similiar game (though Kovalchuk is more durable). Kovalchuk will be looked to provide consistent offensive production, he will continue to resist defensive responsibilty and will never be a physical threat. It's a team game, I build a team around a guy that excels at every aspect of it (or has real potential to) and has leadership qualities to get the most out of his teammates -- Ovechkin exemplifies many of those qualities, has size and actually uses it. That's just me, I don't think I am alone in that regard.
People still spout off this nonsense? I was hoping 2004 would see the end of these posts that unfortunately littered the board last season. Heatley is just as one-dimensional as Kovalchuk, and he showed it when he came back this year. His defensive game leaves plenty to be desired. Also, the idea that Kovalchuk doesn't use his big frame is ridiculous. He doesn't go around leveling guys, but he uses his size and strength to maintain puck control and launch his up-ice attacks, similarly to Jaromir Jagr in his Pittsburgh days. Given his age, he's a lot further along in becoming a "total package" than many other players with a similar age and level of experience.

Ovechkin is going to have to hit his full potential to be as good as Kovalchuk, and personally I still think Kovalchuk will be better than Ovechkin. Now, I haven't seen a ton of Ovechkin yet, but I don't see the fire in his game that Kovalchuk has.