View Single Post
Old
03-31-2008, 12:46 AM
Mother Pucker

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
Yes, I have a bad feeling about Washington. Last thing I want is end up opposite a hot Washington team led by an energized Ovechkin and Huet with something to prove. That team is the anti-Ottawa -- they have been pretty hot ever since their coach was changed after a brutal start.

But consider the other problem. The refs don't do it consciously, but the hyped-up team always gets the better calls. Now picture the idea of Ovechkin in the playoffs... Washington would climb up the Hype Totem Pole in a hurry, at least until they got that match-up with Pittsburgh. No conspiracy theories, but the leaning would definitely go Washington's way. I doubt Montreal could buy a call.

That said, rationally, it wouldn't be a terrible matchup. Montreal is 2-0-2 against them with one shutout... Not exactly a terrible record. Yeah, they did not have Huet, but still. What people forget to mention about the infamous four-goal Ovechkin performance (also known as "Montreal forgets to play defense") is that despite Ovie's heroics, that game went to overtime. Everyone in the media kept saying Montreal got "crushed" in a game that went to overtime. Go figure. :shrug:
What would scare me with referees is they often seem to give advantage to small market teamsin the playoffs, as if Bettman had given them specific instructions. Not saying it is like that but it often looks that way.

On top of that I suspect NHL referees hate Carbonneau with passion, use voodo on us and worship Satan.

Mother Pucker is offline   Reply With Quote