View Single Post
Old
05-06-2004, 04:29 PM
Slewfoot

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
but in the end, they were good regular season coaches. Of course, the Rangers organization needn't worry about post season, but I do often wonder why neither was able to elevate his team above the levels to which they were with the teams they had. Both seemed laden with talent (Q suffered through some injuries though, but never really got farther than Keenan had).

The more I think about it, the more I like McGill. His team is among the best defensively in the AHL. There's discipline, accountability, as well as a system in place. There are many players who will likely be on the team next season (Ortmeyer, Balej and Tyutin as the most likely candidates, and others who, if promoted to coach, may get promoted to the NHL too), and these guys, I believe, respect him and play for him. He's not a name, but perhaps he's a fresh face who can get the job done. Perhaps he gets moved up and Fotiu takes over his position.

I dunno, recycled NHL coaches don't excite me as much as they used to.
A strong case can be made for McGill if Hartford wins the whole thing this year. Considering that a decent number of projected 2005 Rangers are currently on the playoff roster in Hartford , it can only help McGill's case. It has been said many times before that a coach gets too much blame when you lose and too much credit when you win. It still comes down to the players on the ice....