View Single Post
Old
05-06-2004, 07:24 PM
thinkwild
Veni Vidi Toga

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketlives
Saku Koivu and Jose Theodore are both signed for the 2004-05 season. Let's say the team owners lock the players out for a full season, would Saku and Theo remain signed for the 2005-06 season under the same conditions or would their contracts have to be renegotiated?

Note: I could have taken Brisebois and Rivet as examples but I decided on Saku and Theo for no special reasons.

Id guess they would have to be renogotiated if their contracts were now up, and they dont get paid for the year of the lockout.

I think Owen Nolans case was that they had agreed to change the last year of his contract from a club option to a player option, which upset Bettman because he didnt think I guess that players should get their contracts deferred if there is a stoppage.

Sometimes as part of the CBA settlement they will negotiate a deal on this. If they came back within 2 months say, the owners might agree to pay their full salaries even though they didnt work. Or a $10,000 bonus per player in lieu of salary and pro-rate the contracts. But I dont think all contracts just start again next year.