View Single Post
Old
04-02-2008, 08:40 PM
Headcoach

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Stopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stemps View Post
Stopping on blades has to be the hardest thing for me. I when stopping like you do on ice, I always seem to fall....any help?

Stopping is a matter of shifting a low center of gravity to a high center of gravity and then shifting back to a low center of gravity. Let me explain...

When you skate, you should have a 45 degree knee bend. This is going to give you a low center of gravity. As you get readly to stop, you simply stand up right, causing the weight to shift from your knees to your chest, this moves the center of gravity to shift to your chest as well.

At the point that you are in the process of standing, you want to turn your skates perpendicular to the direction you are going. Once you have made the turn, bend your knees to reduce the risk of falling, thus lowering that high center of gravity back down to your knees.

The faster you move that higher center of gravity back down towards your knees, the faster you will stop! Don't forget to lean back a little as you stop to help compensate for weight moving forward.

Headcoach

Headcoach is offline   Reply With Quote