View Single Post
Old
05-08-2004, 05:43 AM
stardog

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan10
Please....enough with this hype over Ovechkin. I'm sorry, but Ovechkin isn't even worth the sweat off Kovalchuk's scrotum. Kovalchuk will be the better player. If I were Atlanta and Washington wanted Kovalchuk, it'd take a hell of a lot more than Ovechkin to get him. You'd better be prepared to give up not only Ovechkin, but at least (and I do mean at least) Steve Eminger, Alexander Semin, and Eric Fehr. I'll say this. Ovechkin will not even compare to what Kovalchuk did in his first year. And if I'm wrong, I'll be the first to admit it. However, I'm tired of hearing this hype about Ovechkin and when WJC tournament time came around, he did nothing to back it up. When it was Kovalchuk's time, he backed up the number 1 ranking.
Couple of things.
1) Ovechkin didn't back it up as much THIS year, but it isn't like he sucked also. However, didn't he totally dominate the tourney last year? Why wouldn't you mention that as well? Not to mention that it is kind of foolish to base an evaluation on one sigle tournament.

2) You trade proposal is just as off as a Ovechkin for Kovalchuk deal is IMO.

3) How exactly can you be so sure as to state that Ovechkin wont even be near the level with Kovalchuk? You do not know this at all in fact and then you rip into others for buying into the hype? Well they have just as good of an idea as to how his career will play out as YOU do.
If you choose to not give him the benefit of the doubt then that is great. That is your right to do so. But to state so emphatically in a definitive that he will NOT do this or that is outrageous simply because there is a chance that he WILL.

In fact, about the only thing that we are in agreement over is that he will do nothing of what Kovalchuk did in HIS first year. But again, that is something we simply do not know.