Thread: ATD #9, Part 4
View Single Post
Old
04-07-2008, 09:05 AM
Hockey Outsider

vCash: 500
There have been some excellent picks lately. Maltsev and Dye are fantastic offensive talents and are great bargains at this point. Kerr had a short prime but was nearly unstoppable within 10 feet of the net-- he was really fast for his size and had a tremendous skill for drawing penalties. Martin was one of the greatest goal-scorers of the 1970s, likely on track for a 600-goal career before injuries, and will look great on Beliveau's line. Olmstead, with his playmaking ability and willingness to work hard to obtain and maintain puck possession, is a great complentary player on any scoring line.

I'm probably Hooley Smith's biggest supporter on HOH, and I had him in two of the past three drafts. I've learned a lot about him because he was my grandfather's favourite player as a kid; he compares his style to Mark Messier in the sense that Smith was a tenacious competitor, and he was willing to check, kill penalties, and drop the gloves. Smith was a two-time Hart finalist (finishing 2nd to Eddie Shore once), and retired as the 4th highest scoring player in NHL history (twice finishing in the top four in a single season with a few more years in the top ten). Re-uniting the S Line would give Inglewood arguably the best 2nd line in the draft; but I could also see playing Smith on the top line as he'd give Lafluer/Fedorov some needed toughness, and he's one of the few skaters that can match their speed.