View Single Post
Old
04-08-2008, 11:39 AM
Ishmael

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRMan View Post
As a Kings fan, I would say that it's because you have no big name players.

It doesn't matter because teams have won a Stanley Cup without them (92/93, LA had the "big names", Montreal, not so much, but you guys won).

Don't worry about it. It's a tremendous advantage to be undervalued in the playoffs.
Bingo. The media is focused on "stars", because they're "marketable", they're fun to talk about, take good pictures, etc.

However, hockey is inherently a team sport. One player cannot totally change the game (except goalies, or _maybe_ Lemieux/Gretzky...)

I'd rather have a 4 line team full of skilled, hard-working players like Koivu, Higgins, Komisarek, etc, than 2-3 "superstars" and a supporting cast. (Obviously, having both like the Canadiens of the 70's and Oilers of the 80's is even better, but in today's salary/cap environment...)

The media looked at Souray, whom they seemed to classify as the star of our team, and when he left it was easy to say, "oh, they're done". You don't have to think so much if you only pay attention to the "stars".

I'm very, very happy with our great team this year, and I'm excited about their chances.

GO HABS GO!!!

Ishmael is offline   Reply With Quote