View Single Post
Old
05-10-2004, 10:36 AM
Beukeboom Fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Japser17
I think they would have to eat more like 5 or 6 million dollars before they could trade Holik. 9 million dollars for a 3rd line is crazy, granted he was prob the best 3rd line center in the NHL but that is what he is. And I can't imagine any team paying him more than 4 million a year.
While I agree that Holik's WAY overpaid, there were at least 2 other teams willing to pay Holik $8M when he was a UFA (Devils, Leafs). I realize that was a couple of years ago, and the impending CBA changes things dramatically, but let's keep things in prespective.

Also, Holik led the Rangers in scoring, was a + player, and like Davisian said, he is willing to be a vocal leader. He had more than double the goal production, and was more of physical force than $4M Mike Peca. He also outproduced another $4M center in Chris Drury. I'm not saying that he's worth $9M, but Bobby Holik is playing exactly like I hoped when he was signed by the Rangers. He might be overpaid, but at least he is producing, unlike most UFA signings.

Also, what 3rd players in the NHL scored 56 pts last year with 41 of them coming at even strength? Add in his defensive awareness, physical presence, and F/O % and I can't see calling him a 3rd line player (although he would be an outstanding 3rd line center).