Old
04-11-2008, 02:15 PM
pb1300
BLEED RED

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by J17 Vs Proclamation View Post
The line "Well, atleast i am not Mike Keenan" could probably enable Martin to keep his job for another few years

Patience is the key with any organisation which wishes to rise from mediocre results to a title contender, no matter what sport they reside in. Fans seem to have little patience (I have only supported Florida/hockey for 4 years, so patience comes easier to me), wanting managerial changes at the finale of each year when no major advancements are made.

I do agree, we are in a transitional phase at the moment (Have been for two years). We no longer are a basement team, but rather a team looking for slightly more emphasis to reach the next level, a contender. We are a few pieces away. Offense is that missing piece.

I am not a fan of Martin's coaching personally, and i like this move, and i don't mind him being GM still. However,He hasn't made any terrible moves (Kilger apart). One year in the job is not a long enough time period to guage his merit for the job and his abilities. He also has not had a surplus of talent to coach.

Everybody in the organisation has to share blame for the shortcomings. Cohen, Martin, Keenan (I include, his moves still impact us), Jokinen, and several players who have not played to their ability (Horton).
I can agree with that. While most want to get to B immediately like Zero said, to go from a 60 point team with no talent in the minors to a playoff contender takes time. Especially when the organization is losing over $20 million a year.

And I want to bring up two scenarios, and see what most think. Team A will go through the season with minimal injuries, Team B will go through the season with, lets be fair, 300 man games lost to some key Dmen and forwards. I guarantee that Team A makes the playoffs, and Team B battles Tampa for the first overall pick.

Team A
Olesz - Jokinen - Zednik
Booth - Weiss - Horton
Mclean, Dvorak, Monty, Campbell, Belak, Kreps

Team B
Olesz - Jokinen - Briere or Gomez
Booth - Weiss - Horton
Brine, Glass, Larman, Stewart, Meyer

Some dont want to take into account the balance that this team had when healthy. Just like people in the meeting last night, they want stars on this team and thats all. Well that wouldnt have helped this team. You can argue all you want, call it "rediculous," but one player doesnt make the difference, its a team game.

pb1300 is offline   Reply With Quote