Old
05-11-2004, 05:30 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier
So what direction do you want to go?

Peca, if I'm reading you and others correctly, is "old" and rapidly headed toward that dreaded UFA age, and NYI doesn't want any of those type, it is suggested.

Isles clearly do not want to spend the required $$$ to bring in established NHL talent, nor is that the direction you personally wish to see them go. (You recently suggested that NYI should get younger on the backline.)

Moving Peca for a similar player is a lateral move. And in the case of this hypothetical with Vancouver, the Canucks, a contender, are not going to give up core talent, and they possess some good young talent.

So again, what is wanted/expected? Talent that is young, cheap, and proven?

Just trying to get a read here.

Peca is my favorite Isalnder, and I would actually feel much more comfortable going into next season with him as the Isles #1 center, rather than the enigmatic $90M Russian. (If Calgary can get this far with Conroy as its #1, so too can NYI with Peca, IMO, assuming they improve in other areas.) But the return here is fair, and I respectfully disagree with your assessment of the two Vancouver players. Projection here is that Allen will be a top 4 rearguard and Kesler will be a solid second-line NHL forward. Only time will tell.
When did you see me suggest we should trade Peca? I thought getting him was a dumb move to begin with, but I see no point in moving him at this point. We spent the price to acquire him, now I think we have to live with it. There is no way we're going to get fair return under the circumstances, so I see little to gain from moving him.

Allen may be a top four dman, and Kesler could be a solid # 2 forward. Both outcomes are possible, but both outcomes are also unlikely. I'd rather stick with Peca.