View Single Post
Old
05-12-2004, 02:41 PM
Mizral

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury
2 goals in 28 games suggest a second tier prospect to me. Kessler probably doens't have huge trade value right now (although I am far from suggesting that he is not going to pan out - young players take time to develop). In all honesty, I don't think he'd return a first rounder in this year's draft.

Peca's trade value is not clear to me at this point. I think the contract issues and $ have to weight heavily. There is really no reason to think the Isles could get fair value in a deal for him and, accordingly, they should probably just hold onto him.
Actually, Kesler had a pretty good year. No, he didn't score much, but I doubt he'll ever score more than 20 goals.

Even still, he was apperantly the most-asked-for Canuck at the trade deadline along with Jason King and Brent Sopel.

Agreed on Peca's value not being clear. It's not to me either. I don't think it's clear to many teams either, which is why I don't think you'll see 'fair value' for him outside of teams who can easily afford his salary (which would include maybe two or three teams out there, if that). And then you look at those teams (Detroit, Rangers, Colorado) and you wonder if they would even have any interest in Peca at all right now (Wings have Draper to sign, Rangers finally going with youth, Avs maybe).

Particularly for a team like the Canucks, that $4.5 million dollar pricetag lowers Peca's value an extreme amount to virtually every team in the league. Especially when you factor in Peca's decline in play lately.