View Single Post
Old
04-17-2008, 12:44 PM
KW

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroG View Post
forgot that marleau wears the C there, you're right. in any case, the on ice leaders have to step up in that case. sarich's hit was a catalyst but it didn't have to be. i was watching another game - nsh/det - and bonk was hammered. it was a similar situation but nashville did not wilt. thinking back though, i really don't think SJ was on fire at the beginning of that game - calgary just was not awake and their coverage was awful. SJ took advantage. the hit on marleau was probably more a wake up call to calgary than a blow to SJ.

wrt the panthers, i'm not overlooking that fact. teams can be prepared perfectly and still come out on the ice flat. as i've said, the fact that this team competed consistently this year (every team has a few stinkers) speaks to the job the coaching staff did. everybody here screams about having a more vocal and enthusiastic coach - that entire calgary/sj game junks the theory, imo. first of all, people point at keenan as an example of that fired up coaching style. if so, how'd he allow his team to come out flat in a critical playoff game? second, did you notice his demeanor when the score was 2-0, 3-0? emotionless. he didn't grimace, yell (that we saw). he did the one thing the coach can do - call a timeout and/or pull the goaltender. what happened next is that sarich made a big play and woke the team up. coaches play a part to be sure but this fixation on martin's style misses the mark.
This is the crucial difference of opinion we have. I don't think we competed to the level and consistence that we should have. I don't think the coaching staff finished the job on a consistent basis. Everything else falls out from that - JM the HC being replaced, Olli potentially being shopped around, new hockey people being brought in. I agree that this does not equal stability and consistency, but the stability and consistency I look for is one of a winning variety. I don't need a stable losing situation. We are not there in terms of stability of organization yet. It's still under construction, unfortunately.

KW is offline   Reply With Quote