View Single Post
Old
04-20-2008, 10:10 PM
Stripes

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
Of course our association allows the Coaching staff or any spectator to file an evaluation form regarding any on-ice or off-ice official. It is a prerogative extended to all those teams with in the WNYAHL. We may even submit video and digital images as part of a statement. I dont see how that would be considered wrong. The form provides for input on many aspects of the crews performance. These crews do not operate under anonymity. They are required to sign the gamesheet as well as provide their ID number. This allows the WNYAHL organization to gather an over view of the crews, proffesionalism, appearance, etc etc. Statistically, there are as many positive evaluation forms submitted as negative.

While teams may not request specific crews or individuals, they MAY refuse any specific Official. Its a system that has its checks and balances. Granted, its not perfect and we still have too many officials who choose to unduly influence games but at least its kept minimal.
We don't operate anonymously either. We sign the game sheets (though we don't have ID numbers). That said, our officials are assigned and supervised by those who run the officials' association. Teams have no right to have any say whatsoever as to who officiates their games.

I don't see how anybody without certification as an official should be able to write an official evaluation on an official's performance. I would not officiate in such a system.

Quote:
Your second statement would be based on some assumption. In the shoot out situation once the forward progress of the puck has been stopped, the play is dead. Should the puck hit a goalie, move away from the goal line, deflect off a piece of the goalies gear, reversing back to the goal line and into the net....the correct call is no goal.

I would check your rulebook for situations on penalty shots. I have Hockey Canada's rulebook open right now, and one of the situations states...

The puck hits the goal post, then hits the goaltender and goes into the goal. - Goal is allowed.

Quote:
The ref only need see the pucks forward motion stopped. Where the puck is when the goalie stands means nothing.
Once the goaltender has made contact with the puck, the player may not touch it again as he has lost possession and control. However, if the goaltender slides into the net after playing the shot, where the goaltender ends up with the puck under him is where the puck's forward progress was stopped. If the goaltender ends up in the net and the puck is under him across the goal line, it's a goal.

Stripes is offline   Reply With Quote