View Single Post
Old
04-21-2008, 07:42 PM
MikeD

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes View Post
We don't operate anonymously either. We sign the game sheets (though we don't have ID numbers). That said, our officials are assigned and supervised by those who run the officials' association. Teams have no right to have any say whatsoever as to who officiates their games.

I don't see how anybody without certification as an official should be able to write an official evaluation on an official's performance. I would not officiate in such a system.

I would check your rulebook for situations on penalty shots. I have Hockey Canada's rulebook open right now, and one of the situations states...

The puck hits the goal post, then hits the goaltender and goes into the goal. - Goal is allowed.

Once the goaltender has made contact with the puck, the player may not touch it again as he has lost possession and control. However, if the goaltender slides into the net after playing the shot, where the goaltender ends up with the puck under him is where the puck's forward progress was stopped. If the goaltender ends up in the net and the puck is under him across the goal line, it's a goal.
That is CHA rules. IIHF and USA have a slightly different flavor. Also, your readying stipulations based on th penalty shot situation and not the shoot-out procedure. Regardless, it doesnt matter. It is interesting how that in the case of a penalty shot or the shoot out situation that the puck striking the goalie is considered losing possession but in regulation time it is not. With USA hockey and hte SHOOT OUT as far as stopping the forward progress of the puck... Once the player has touched the puck AT ANY TIME that its(Puck) travel is in a direction AWAY from the goal line....forward progress has been stopped. No goal may be awarded once that has happened.

as for not officiating in a system that allows Non-officials to submit an evaluation....thats your choice. Those who do so here, and have for decades, find that it is an outstanding tool for all involved. Its all about improving the game experience for the kids. I dont understand why you would be so afraid of this kind of situation. Typically, should a ref receive several submissions of a negative nature, The officials above in their association would come rink side and observe the official in question. As I said, teams may not choose who Refs their games. What they can do is choose WHO WILL NOT. There is a big difference.

MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote