Thread: ATD #9, Part 6
View Single Post
Old
04-24-2008, 10:48 PM
MXD

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Dale Cooper View Post
Scouting report: Yesterday on the NHL network I was watching a game from an early 80's Kings-Oilers playoff series, the game just after the famous miracle on Manchester. I am going to share my observations on the ATD players in the series.
The most impressive player on either team was Marcel Dionne. He skated incredibly fast, and was small with a low center of gravity. Dave Taylor was very physical and a good forechecker. Charlie Simmer, however, was beginning to be haunted by his injury woes, and did not look particularly special.
For the defense, Larry Murphy was a rookie, and looked solid. Jerry Korab, though, showed absolutely nothing to me that would make him seem ATD worthy. He was a mediocre physical 3rd-pairing defenseman.

On the Oilers, I thought the most noticeable player was Kurri, who flew down the ice, and was the right wing on a line with Gretzky at center and Glenn Anderson on the left wing. Wayne Gretzky was not a great skater, and did not have any great moves, but was simply extremely effective. You could tell that every player on the ice had to be aware of Gretzky.
The best Edmonton defenseman was Lowe, who had some very good hits. I do not remember Paul Coffey's name called.
Grant Fuhr was exceptional, and made some saves at key moments.

The strangest thing, though, was that color commentator Don Cherry was very complimentary of Kurri, and even considered him to be underrated.

Trivia: I think that was the only series in NHL history where the winning team had 1/2 as many regular season wins as the losing team.
I can name one year when the SC winner had 1/2 (minus one) win than the best team in the League. 37-38, obviously.

Wasn't Korab at the end of the road by then?