View Single Post
Old
05-18-2004, 12:51 PM
pittengineer

vCash: 500
Since I heard about Crosby, I figured all of the canadian teams would prob go crazy with offers to a team drafting first in crosby's draft year. I would say similar to 84' with mario, but maybe more so since deals like the lindros trade as actually happened. I would say the offer would have to be stunning to get crosby away from whoever has the first pick. I dont see a trade happening mainly because he is so hyped in NA because he is a NA product. I think Ovechkin, and i cant believe im saying this, is not as hyped as he deserves because he is russian. I think if Ovechkin was canadian, more people(especially canadians) would be going ape-s*** over the guy. But this is for another discussion.

Back to the point. The offer would have to be stunning for someone already proclaimed "The Next Great One". I think the pens would be best suited to keep him just from the PR and martketing applications, not to mention he could develop into a great hockey player on the ice. Just think how many people would order jerseys alone with crosby in the pens uni. Pens, surprising enough, are usually one of the biggest road draws(not sure of this year though do to their struggles). Add Crosby, Malkin, Fleury, and some of the others and you can see a team that would put seats in other arenas, but most importantly in pittsburgh.

I think the pens will finish in the bottom 10 next year. I think the only way the pens get a shot at crosby is if they hold to lottery the same as this year with a strike/lockout looming. Chances of this I would say is 70/30.