View Single Post
Old
04-29-2008, 09:27 AM
Headcoach

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstrom #19 View Post

There's the one-handed backhand from Kovalev.
What's so cool about this shot is that goalies know that a lot of players are incapable of doing this type of shot, so they don't expect it...at all!

Notice that the puck is more towards the back end of the blade...towards the heal when he shoots!

This type of shot is truely a formidable weapon against a goalie. I know, I have had my A** handed to me several times with this shot. The only problem was, thank god, there was only one play in the league that could make this type of shot.

By the way, I had the opportunity to come up against this type of shot when I was 18...in 1976. The guy who scored against me had great shooting skill, but wasn't that fast.

Skating is about 80% of the game.
Stick handling is about 10%
Passing is about 5%
Shooting is about 3%
Checking is about 2%

This is what I tell my players to get them to skate. However, here's something to think about...

Once I get a player, to where he is doing 360 degree jumps in the air on the ice, you put a puck on his stick and he forgets how to skate.

So, after a player learns the skating technique, do the same drill with a puck until it is smooth. Then advance to the next drill.

In my opinion.

Hope this helps.
Head Coach

Headcoach is offline   Reply With Quote