View Single Post
Old
04-30-2008, 01:25 PM
Bear of Bad News
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 663
That's a fair point - I'd counter by saying that I'm presenting this totals more to express a measure of what happened, and not (necessarily) to exhibit a measure of greatness.

Similar to how there are good goals and bad goals, but they all count the same on the scorers' sheet. Or how I'll list a player's shots and saves for a game; if he had forty saves on forty-one shots, that doesn't prove that he had a great game, it just says that he allowed one goal on forty-one shots. If a player actually got 328 points in Hart Trophy balloting in 1987-88, then that's what happened.

Personally, I like it because it shows a level of relative dominance for voting. It allows you to compare Hasek's Vezina Trophies with Jim Carey's Vezina (Carey actually only had an award share of 40% in his Vezina-winning season).

Now if we want to take it to another level to express a measure of greatness in a player's season (or career), that's another discussion. It's definiately a discussion worth having in my opinion, but I think that it's a much harder question.

Bear of Bad News is offline   Reply With Quote