View Single Post
Old
04-30-2008, 04:32 PM
ToursLepantoVienna

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddehJuS View Post
Good tips, so by all this I'm to wager that if their is a guy in front of our net, he is my responsibility?
Not necessarily. Your wingers should be covering the 2 opposing d-men, leaving you and your 2 d-men to cover their forwards. I always take the "open" man, tying up his stick since I'm too small to handle most opposing forwards physically. All is well until 1 of you gets beat, then it's a 3-on-2 or 2-on-1 in the slot - not good.

I'm usually quicker getting to loose pucks anywhere below the hash marks than my d-men, so I try to get to those and start the break with a pass to one of my wingers. I'll battle the opposing forward if he beats me to the puck, leaving the slot coverage solely to my d-men.

I think of center as the only position where the entire ice is your offensive and defensive responsibility. At beer league level, wingers don't normally go below the defensive hash marks, nor the d-men on offense. The center goes everywhere.

That's why, as a general rule, the best skaters and best conditioned players on the team are centers. The least skilled players should always be "hidden" on the wing, never at center or on defence.

ToursLepantoVienna is offline   Reply With Quote