View Single Post
Old
05-04-2008, 03:00 AM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

vCash: 500
Forwards

Koivu
Just incredible. He finished the playoffs with 9 PTS over 7 GP and posted nearly 57% rating in the faceoff circle. He finished with a plus-one rating.

Without the stats, he worked his ass off to get us back in the this series.. and kept us on our toes in the Boston series.

This showed why SAKU KOIVU IS THE BEST PLAYER ON THE MONTREAL CANADIENS.
GRADE: A+

Kovalev
Somehow, Kovalev can manage to post post regardless if he is playing well or not. He finished with 11 PTS over 12 GP.. but had a horrendous minus-four rating.

Some games you could see the Kovalev from the Regular season, but for the most part.. nothing. He really seemed to lack any real drive and made some boneheaded plays that may have cost us a game or two.
GRADE: C+

Higgins
Unlike Kovalev, Higgins had an effort (though I would of liked to see him crash the net more).. but the points weren't getting on the scoreboard. Over the 12 game stretch Higgins posted just 5 PTS while adding a plus-one rating.
GRADE: B-

S. Kostitsyn
In my opinion, the young Kostitsyn was our second best forward through the playoffs which speaks volume. He was sensational during the regular season and proved the best is yet to come during the playoffs.

During 12 playoff games, Kostitsyn posted 8 PTS and a plus-five (+5) rating.

His biggest downfall was penalties though posting 7 minor penalties over the course of the playoffs. Disappointing.. But still he played great.
GRADE: A-

A. Kostitsyn
Disappointing for the most part.

Scored 8 PTS over the 12 playoff games, while posting a minus-four rating.

He showed signs of greatness, but most of the time .. he just didn't look like himself. Maybe the first series took too much out of him.

Plekanec
Posted 9 PTS over 12 GP while posting a minus-one rating.

During the Boston series, I was shocked to see Plekanec ... no where. But as the playoffs wore on, Plekanec worked his respectable game back into our hearts.

His 55% in the faceoff circle was awesome.

He was solid, if unspectacular.
GRADE: B

Begin
We can blame Begin all we want, but the fact was he was chipping in offensively (3 PTS) and was a plus-player (+1). He took a stupid penalty for the second year in a row, yeah.. but without Begin in the first round.. we may have not even been in a second round matchup.

He wasn't very good against Philly though.

Also, Begin lead ALL PLAYERS in the playoffs with 57 hits.

Smolinski
He was effective against Boston, but died down against Philadelphia. Made a horrible giveaway in a game against Philly which lead to a goal happening.

He was solid.

However, the biggest letdown was the fact that his faceoff percentage dropped huge.
GRADE: C+

Kostopoulos
In my opinion, the second best forward we had all playoffs. He scored some huge goals and made some great plays. He worked hard, created scoring chances, and kept his line on the offensive for a lot of the time. I loved him through the playoffs and have no problem locking up a fourth line spot for him next year. GO KOSTO!
GRADE: A-

Streit
There is no defending the game that Streit provided us in the playoffs. However, I am upset that people give Markov leeway due to injury, when it was quite clear that Streit wasn't even close to 100%. With a hip injury & a foot injury (that I doubt was completely healed).. Streit wasn't himself.

Again it's not an excuse, I'm just not going to be giving Markov or Komisarek leeway from injuries, if Streit isn't getting it.
GRADE: D

Lapierre
Weird.

You never knew what you were going to get shift from shift. I loved his game one shift and was left in question at later time. However, that may of had something to do with his linemates not performing.

He was rugged, dug, hit, and loved to do his thing though. I'm not disappointed with his effort at all.

Latendresse
See Lapierre, minus maybe the second last sentence, which he needed to do more of.

Dandenault
Far and away the worst player in the playoffs.. and maybe not only on the Montreal Canadiens.

Carbo's decision to play him so long (9 games!!) while posting a minus-three rating and zero offense.. was ridiculous.

Michael Ryder would of been a much better choice. Hell, JP Cote at forward would of been a better choice.
GRADE: F (If we can give a Z.. I'll give him that).

Ryder
Didn't play enough to get a solid grade.. but I honestly thought he was playing well. He needed to shoot more. He posted a plus-one (+1) rating in his four games. Good effort.

Defence

Gorges
Was our second best defenseman during the first series and easily our best defenseman during the second series. I really, really loved his game overall. He even chipped in with three points.

I say overall, he was our second best player.
GRADE: A

Markov
For sure looked injured, but again if Streit is going to get judged without his injury factoring into things, Markov will be the same.

Posting just four points over 12 games and an even-rating, how satisfied can we be? He logged more ice-time than any player, and that may of been a huge mistake as teams were really taking too him as the playoffs rode on.

He made some great plays, but that was expected because he is just so smart with the puck. However, his game overall, was nothing short of horrible.
GRADE: D+

Komisarek
His physical game really picked up about Game #6 of the first round and he blocked a **** load of shots. He posted 3 points and a plus-three rating over 12 playoff games.

He was solid, if unspectacular like the regular season. Overall, it was good experience for him.. and of course, he wasn't 100%. I was happy, not thrilled.

Hamrlik
Incredible, incredible first series aside from maybe one game.

The Flyers' series was different, but he was still probably a Top-3 defenseman on our team (not that that's saying much.

Three points and a minus-three over 12 games is not impressive for the Hammer.

Brisebois
Posted 6 PTS through 10 GP while adding a minus-three rating.

He was, by far, our most offensive defenseman but he still made some bonehead plays in his own zone.

Aside from a couple horrible games though, he was very, very good (considering expectations).

Bouillon
A true warrior and somehow, chipped in 3 PTS in 7 GP. It's funny how Bouillon and Brisebois had our best PTS per MIN ratio for defenseman.

I liked his game a lot during the last half of the year and the playoffs.. I'm confident with him in a Top-6 role next year.

O'Byrne
Minimal playing time.

He made mistakes, but those were expected. He really needs to work on NOT icing the puck. He played well enough for a first timer.

Goalies

Price -
Way too inconsistent. The team never knew what goalie they were getting in the Boston series.. and in the Philadelphia series, he was horrendous.

Posting a 2.78 GAA and a .901 SV% in the playoffs just isn't going to get it done. I don't even WANT to know the numbers were against Philly.

However, he's just 20-years old and this was a great experience for him. He's going to be incredible. The Price may not have been right this year, but it definitely will be in the near future.
GRADE: C

Halak
With nearly a month off, I thought he played a very good game. He obviously had some cobwebs, but he made some huge saves to keep us in the game or give us a chance to do win.

I really hope that Halak gets a chance to steal the job from Price during training camp, because he really is that good. Maybe he will never be as good as Price.. but he definitely is a good one.

TEAM GRADE: B-

Bad Natey is offline   Reply With Quote