Thread: Round 2, Vote 9
View Single Post
Old
05-05-2008, 12:39 AM
Hockey Outsider

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleBelfour View Post
Bill Durnan: An incredible goaltender. Very underrated. I feel his ''bad'' playoff resume is overblowned. He was still one heck of a competitor come playoff time. The guys his in no doubt. A notch above Broda, who won't be in the top-50 unfortunately.
I realize this might be a bit late, but why not? I'm confused why people consider Durnan a bad playoff performer. He won 2 Cups in six playoff seasons, and his GAA dropped 14%.

Durnan won the Stanley Cup and led the playoffs in GAA in 1944 and 1946 -- presumably nobody faults him for these years.

In 1947, Durnan lost in the SC final in six games, but still led the playoffs in GAA. His team scored exactly 4 goals in the four finals games he lost -- it looks like Durnan played extremely well this year, it's not Durnan's fault his teammates lost their scoring touch in the Stanley Cup finals.

The same thing happened in 1949 -- Durnan played well but his team didn't score (losing in seven games in the first round). In his four losses, the Canadiens put up four goals in four games. Durnan's 2.18 GAA was marginally higher than it was in the regular season, but it's still quite good given the era.

Durnan was probably decent in 1945 -- he had a marginally better GAA in the playoffs, but probably should have done better given how watered-down the league was.

Durnan did look pretty bad playing three of five games in 1950, his final year.

Hockey Outsider is offline   Reply With Quote