View Single Post
Old
05-05-2008, 01:20 PM
tinyzombies

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 32leaguer View Post
Hey there guys,

Okay, as a forward (men's league) who is trying to forecheck, I often find myself approaching someone from the opposition's team who has started with the puck behind their own net and, as such, is coming through the neutral zone with a full head of steam. We're almost heading straight at each other and it doesn't take much for him to deke me out. So, obviously I just try to get in the way, swipe at the puck, etc., but feel like a goofball when the opposing player (often) zips by.

I know you're supposed to 'angle' people to the outside rather than take them straight on, but when someone's coming straight up the middle of the neutral zone, what are the smart plays and goals you are trying to accomplish - slow him down at least a bit (i.e., yeah, you're not likely to stop him, just slow him down), turn and chase him down (but, you lose a step going from towards the opposition then turning around, never take him head on - just start skating back towards your own end, etc., etc..Maybe my backward skating is just too slow (hard to keep up with straight on forward speed?)

Anyway, just looking for some pointers - it seems like I'm in a natural disadvantage in this kind of situation.....Thanks!
Great advice from Coco. If the other team isn't respecting your forecheck and are skating right at you and they don't really have any dynamic players, you should be more aggressive on the forecheck and send two guys in there. Let him skate right at you - skate right at him and hit him/tie him up and let your second guy get the puck.

Don't just send two guys after him though, send one and let the second guy read the play and decide whether or not to help out or back off.

Again, you need everyone on the same page and the guys in the neutral zone have to provide support and take away the stretch pass.

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote