View Single Post
Old
05-05-2008, 06:14 PM
DutchShamrock

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Do we have anyone in our system who is comparable to any of them? Gomez for MacDonald, maybe. But other than that, nope.
Exactly. Right now we don't have comparables, maybe in 3 years we will. Maybe Dubinsky gets there. Maybe Cheripanov becomes that goal scorer we need. There's Anisimov and Staal and Sanguinetti too.

But right now, no. But how does free agency change that? How can 1 or 2 signings help us get the comparable 4 or 5 players? I'm not saying we shouldn't add through free agency, I'm saying now isn't the time. Let the core gel, like Anaheim's core. Then add through UFA, like Selanne and Neidermeyer. Then add through trades like Pronger. Hell, in 5 years Staal might just be approaching that status. We don't even know what we have beyond projections. We're not garbage, but our core isn't at a level that will put us over the top for a cup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motime42 View Post
Selanne had 48 goals that year. Seems like a superstar to me.
Selanne had 40 goals only once between 1999 and 2005. That doesn't sound like a superstar to me, sounds like an abberation or a flare in a once great career. Everything came together for him that season... which is what you need when you win a cup, but that does not qualify as a superstar. 200 goals in 7 years is good, not amazing.

I can find stats too. If you are implying that we need a 50 goal scorer to win a cup, then I'll just wait until one appears out of thin are like Selanne did for them.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote