Habsfan18's "Taking a look back in Habs history" thread. (UPDATED..Post 25)
View Single Post
05-05-2008, 09:02 PM
Join Date: Sep 2003
Originally Posted by
Some of you may recognize some of my threads on the NHL board, "Habsfan18's Taking a Look Back."
For those who aren't familiar. I have a huge collection of past THN issues. I have approx 500 issues from the 89-90 season to today.
I like to take out old issues and post interesting news and notes from around the league.
This will be the Habs board edition. Every few days (maybe once a day) I'll take out a random issue and go straight to the Habs team report section and post tidbits of what was reported. I'll also look for any other Hab related news.
And remember, the week isn't going to be exactly accurate as THN has their issues dated a week or so in advance of the actual date.
I'll gladly take requests for a specific time period. And if you guys want I can probably find some old issues with a Hab on the cover and take a picture.
I hope we can keep this thread bumped.
January 18th, 2002
- On the cover, "The rise of the original six." There's a player on the cover for each of the 6 teams..the Habs representitive is Yanic Perreault.
- For the cover story (which reports on how the original 6 teams are doing) THN talks about how a 25 year old Jose Theodore has shown he's capable of singlehandedly carrying the team. Patrice Brisebois, who just received a new contract extension, is playing some of the best hockey of his career. And Craig Rivet, who provides the Habs with a physical force.
- THN has a feature for every teams "unsung hero" player. Montreal's representive..Mike Ribeiro. "Slight in size, big in skill. It's unlikely Ribeiro will ever be a superstar in the physical eastern conference, but he's worked hard at developing his game."
- Doug Gilmour, who's mission in life is to help the Canadiens make the playoffs, may have to retire due to his troubled back. Gilmour missed the first 3 games of the team's post christmas 7 game road trip. Upon his return, the team has him playing wing with Perreault so he doesn't have to bend over to take faceoffs. Gilmour has 3 goals and 6 assists in 30 games.
- Montreal remains of the NHL's most offensively challenged teams. "One solution may be trading Jeff Hackett and Brian Savage for a goalscorer."
- Jeff Hackett, after returning from injury, struggles and is winless in 5 straight games.
And how bout our depth chart?
Spares - Markov, Poulin, Simpson.
Injuries - Koivu, Audette, Bulis, Souray.
Only 3 among that motley crew are with the Habs today! And 1 of the 3 was let go and re-signed as a conditional player at a lower salary.
View Public Profile
Find More Posts by Corey