View Single Post
Old
05-05-2008, 11:24 PM
Chomsky

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Live Forever View Post
I think you're missing my point. It is not about if it is mathimatically possible to afford the players under a cap, it's more about if you are able to remain competitive with multiple expensive players that take up the majority of your cap leaving not much else for a supporting cast. That was the reason Tampa got rid of Richards, it simply wasn't working out to have the majority of their money spent on 3 forwards. We also derailed from the topic of our debate, but i'll use Gomez and Drury as an example. Why is it that you need to compare players now in order to make Richards' contract become reasonable. If you stick to what you've been saying all this time, the size of Richards' contract was a non issue in him getting the type of return he got. Now your arguement is well if Drury got $7.35 million per year, then Richards' contract @ $7.8 looks a lot better. Before you're arguement was more like Richards' @ 5 million or a Richards at $7.8 million makes no difference which I disagreed with.
Why would I argue with a false assumption...

Anyway, yes I got your point, but you may have difficulties to get mine, so I will state it more clearly...

When you have a top 2 pick in the 2008 draft (Stamkos, Bogosian, Doughty, etc), 15M cap space for 8 players (6 bottom six, and 2 top 6), a very good goaltender prospect (Ramo) and a marginal number 1(Holmqvist), 3 superstars (Vinny, Brad, Martin) and a star (Boyle), then YES, I assure you that you can remain competitive in the New Nhl, and for quite a while.

Don't forget that in 2006-7, the Lightning finished 7th in the Eastern Conference with the same roster as this year, minus major injuries...

Thus, adding a healthy Boyle, a top prospect in Stamkos, two-three good ufas Commodore, Huet & Demitra (Just an example), then yes you can remain competitive for a few seasons.

Chomsky is offline   Reply With Quote