View Single Post
Old
05-07-2008, 09:51 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

vCash: 500
Well I'd take that microwave warning with a grain of salt. I can't find any support for those claims.

You can increase your metabolism by eating smaller meals more frequently, gaining muscle, and just being more active.

Frequent meals signal to your brain that you are full, which prevents starvation signals, and your body burns calories digesting the food. Smaller meals mean that you won't store excess food as fat. If you go long periods of time without eating, your body goes into starvation mode and will break down some of your muscle for energy.

Gaining muscle burns more calories as said above. Dieters who don't exercise often lose equal amounts of muscle and fat, which is part of why they often gain back MORE weight than they lost after going off the diet. You gain muscle by breaking it down through resistance training, then eating protein and carbs and resting to rebuild it. I found playing hockey a couple times a week and even just walking my dog or riding a bike was enough to prevent muscle breakdown while losing weight (and at 165 I fit into clothes that I wore previously at 150 with higher body fat...muscle weighs more than fat and takes up less space).

High intensity interval training (HIIT) cardio raises your metabolism and burns more calories than standard medium-intensity cardio. You might burn fewer calories over 20 minutes of HIIT than 45 minutes of regular cardio, but your heart pumps faster and your lungs keep working harder for a couple hours after you're done. Plus interval training mimics hockey shifts (45 seconds of intensity, two minutes of rest) and it's a lot quicker.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote