View Single Post
Old
05-07-2008, 01:11 PM
xander

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
not if the cap keeps jumping up like it has been.
This is true, but it's very dangerous to try and project the cap out multiple season from now. THe league has done very well since the lockout, but I question it's ability to grow revenue streams. This is still a gate driven league, and unless you start substantially expanding seating or ticket prices, there becomes a point when you can't grow anymore with ticket sales.*

The cap could very well continue to grow at the rate is has, but I don't like the idea of: "Just spend the money, of course the cap will keep rising, everything will be okay." It's prudent to leave yourself options. I think committing to Jagr short term and trying to develop an in house replacement is wiser than committing big money to Hossa long term, considering the contracts this team has handed out over the last calendar year.

*I also admit that I know far less about the league's finances and sources of income than many on these boards, if someone cares to correct or expand upon my uninformed musings, I would welcome that.

xander is offline   Reply With Quote