View Single Post
Old
05-21-2004, 02:16 PM
Master Lok

vCash: 500
Since Chayter bumped this post, I guess looking back to February...

Smith + Rita
for
Weiss + Novak

Weiss himself is worth more than Smith and Rita, never mind Novak. If Smith was only 28 instead of 30, then the trade would be a bit more even. I do see a problem with Weiss in that he has very good offensive potential, but Florida has both Jokinen and Horton ahead of him. Jokinen is only 26? and is starting to flourish, I highly suggest that Fla not listen to any trade offers and keep the dude while Horton or Weiss plays behind him as #2.

Kozlov really fizzled for the NJ Devils since the trade. He had 5 points in 11 games but 4 points came as a result of one game against the mighty Pens. He only played in 2 playoff games for the Devs and sat out the other two. Hopefully he will get another chance with the new season.

Brewer will not be traded from the Oilers. He had a very mediocre start for the Oil, but in the last half Brewer was the #1 big dman the Oilers were hoping for when they first traded for him. He logged bigtime minutes (25), played against the top line opponents and was snarly to play against. His second half performance was so good that he made the Team Canada list again for this fall.

Huselius and Hagman are of absolutely no interest to the Oilers. Both are LW's and the Oilers already have a glut (Torres, Smyth, Isbister, Chimera, Moreau, York, Rita) of them.

I still feel however that Jason Smith would provide the defensive grit, leadership and shot blocking that Florida and more importantly, Luongo needs.

Proposal #1:
I wonder if Smith, Rita for Novak + pick? would be more fair?

Proposal #2:
Assuming that Fla might be interested in trading away Weiss simply because of an overload of centres, and a need for stronger wingers (the RW looks very weak).

Weiss + 2nd round pick for Horcoff (a young 2/3 40-50 pt checking gritty centreman), Rita (can play both RW and LW) and Smith.