View Single Post
Old
05-07-2008, 02:59 PM
Synergy27

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
it's also not only about Jagr's production, it's about what he enables others on his team to do. Gomez is not the kind of guy you want to be the center of other teams' attention. Drury certainly isn't that guy either. Even when he's not producing Jagr takes pressure off others. You hate to bring the intangible word out but they do exist, and while the intangibles are working he's still managing to put up 70 points.
The thing is, that is actually a very tangible asset. This isn't the mercurial leadership or good with the kids argument. Jagr's ability to draw defenders away from others is a noticeable (albeit not really measureable) skill that undeniably pays dividends on the rink.

I had my concerns about Jagr this year. I feared he had lost a step like many others did. But after the playoffs it couldn't be more obvious to me that he was just trying to keep some fuel in the tank for what he thought would be a long run at the Cup. I am convinced that had the Rangers playoff spot been in jeopardy at any point we would have seen Jagr turn it on much earlier.

That said, how refreshing would it be to see him pull a Kariya/Selanne and sign here on the cheap? I don't know much about his financial situation (gambling debts, etc.), but how great would it be if he decided to take one for the team to get a taste of that NY glory he apprently desires so much?

Synergy27 is offline   Reply With Quote