View Single Post
Old
05-07-2008, 03:00 PM
Vlad The Impaler

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulPosition View Post
Well, of course you're right. It's gotta cost more : there's no one on the bus, compared to filled-to-capacity buses in Montreal. Do the maths (think economics of scale or whatever you call that in correct english). Yet the price (if you're only going around Laval) is, let's say, similar.

Is it all STM management, though? Perhaps not. Evil selfish people flee to Laval to escape taxes, yet they support paying for mass transit. Montrealers ***** about not finding parking places, coughing out their smogged-out summer, traffic jams but won't shed a cent and will collectively sue the government if it ever tried to change things.
I'm the kind of jaded individual who sees a lot of mispendings in public systems and government programs. I'm sure the STM could optimize things a little more with some work.

That being said, the STM is currently heavily funded by governments. It is apparently running at a deficit. Technically, a person with a monthly pass of $66.25 is not paying as much as he should.

I don't want to make it sound like it's a charity, though. Governments and municipalities know that public transport is an important component of the economy.

I'm definitly for improvements, though. I like what you had to say about Kelowna. Bike racks would be nice. That being said, I don't even know if I want to ride a bike in this ****ing mess of a city anymore. Car drivers are just too insane

Vlad The Impaler is offline   Reply With Quote