View Single Post
Old
05-08-2008, 08:02 AM
Boris Le Tigre
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

vCash: 500
In terms of fighting prowess, I'd venture Brashear is the best fighter the Canadiens have ever developed. He was still young when with Montreal and after putting up great numbers in the AHL (scoring almost 40 goals) he was traded and developed into a top 3 fighter in the NHL (maybe even champ). Unfortunately the Habs were not patient enough for Brashear to develop into the servicable player he's become, and traded him over paying him an elite an enforcers wage.

Ivanans seems capable of developing into an elite force and has tremedous size, but it's only been this year since he's started to really figure out his style and dominate most of his opponents. I think he certainly projects to be a top 3 fighter in the NHL and he's also developing into a servicable player.

Kordic and Nilan were fantastic entertaining fighters but more beatable in any given fight than those two larger super-heavyweight guys. They are just a lot smaller.

In terms of a more all-around definition of toughness, I'm not sure there were many Habs tougher than Nilan or Kordic, who would both fight anyone anytime (which can't be said for Brashear). Corson, although described as choosy by his detractors [sort of like Komisarek today], was also a tough player... Today i think Begin and Kostopolus very much fit this description of the all-around tough player (blocking shots, sticking up for themself or team mates, wanting to win races for the puck, hitting etc...)

Other more recent Habs who haven't been mentioned: Gerry Fleming (only had a cup of coffee in the NHL but destroyed the AHL and weighed close to 260 lbs), Mario Roberge (fought Probert well, had great fights with Rob Ray), Dave Morissette (very intimidating fighter, with damaging punching power)... and my personal favourite Mario's brother Serge Roberge (another minor league terror).

Boris Le Tigre is offline   Reply With Quote