View Single Post
Old
05-08-2008, 08:36 AM
JrHockeyFan

vCash: 500
I never saw much of the guys before the 60's so I will stick with picking guys I am familiar with

60's John Ferguson. A physical presence at all times with BIG hands that could also score goals. What made him specially tough was that he was very smart and had a tough mindset as well.

70's. Larry Robinson. No doubt about it. Destroyed the Broad Street Bullies myth forever by dismantling Schultz at center ice on a Sunday afternoon on American TV. He could do that with anybody if he chose to. Or he just might choose to slam the door and check you into the boards hard enough so that you thought twice about trying to go wide by the boards.

80's Chris Nilan. Very tough hard as nails team guy. He was an old time "cop" out there meting out justice frontier style. He also managed to rack up a career high 21 goals the same year he had his career high 358 pims. He also had a sharp wit:
"What are you doing in this league?" Nilan to Flyer enforcer Dave Brown who questioned what Nilan was doing on Montreal's power play.

90's Not the strongest era for "tough" guy play by Montreal. Brashear probably fits the enforcer part best but fell short on other parts. I think John LeClair played a very tough physical game for the Habs on offence down in the trenches. Odelein played with a bit of an edge on D. But all in all the 90's were not tough except for the results after the Cup win in '93

2000+ I'd have to go with a newcomer in Mike Komisarek. He hits and hits hard

My overall choice would be Ferguson with Robinson a close second followed by Nilan.

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote