View Single Post
Old
05-21-2004, 08:41 PM
Prucha73

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnaby
We have a nice young core of 3rd and 4th line forwards. We have guys who will be 3rd pairing d-men or a little better like Pock, Baranka, Liffiton.. etc...

We need to take the BEST PLAYERS we can get. We need the player who can be a top pairing defenseman or top line forward. I'll trade up for Thelen at 7 or 8 because I'd rather take a shot on a guy who could be a top pairing defenseman as opposed to Poti, and a couple nice 2nd rounders. We have 5 second rounders... We can deal 3 and still have two left to grab the players that we feel have the brightest futures. Thats the beauty of having five 2nds. We have options. We could walk out of this draft with a guy like Ladd/Tukonen/Olesz and Thelen who some say is the best d-man in the draft. In addition we can grab 2 guys who our scouts like the most in the 2nd round. Thats what we need to try and do. I'll take that any day over one of Ladd/Tukonen/Ladd and 5 solid picks. The depth we have - the blue chippers we don't.

the problem is that besides Ovechkin and Malkin the next 40 prospects are not that clear cut and not a whole lot better than one another, so there is no point giving up so much for Thelen. This is after all pretty much a crapshoot and Thelen just like any other could turn out to be a bust or suffer a career ending injury.