View Single Post
Old
05-09-2008, 12:10 PM
grrrreg
Soft European

vCash: 500
I don't like this argument about taxes.
Sure, money IS a factor, and I certainly understand that a player will take taxes into consideration. But this is a broader issue than just hockey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHabsGo247 View Post
You'd think the Quebec government would give the Canadiens the same tax breaks considering the history the franchise has here. It's actually pretty pathetic when you think of how much money the franchise brings in for the province, never mind the tax from player's salaries.
Come on, if you think about it honestly, if you try to put aside the fact that we're fans discussing sport, would you push for this kind of solution? Why would a government have to grant a special arrangment to a private company, so that some of the better paid citizens in the country can earn a little more money? That's insane.

I know it's sports, and the Canadiens are not just a random private company, I know they are an important part of Montreal's image, and I know the province benefits from their existence, but the fact remains that this is a business.

We have the exact same debate in france about soccer players. Some club owners and managers are lobbying the government, because they argue that there is a competitive disadvantage, as high taxes in France prevent them to sign the the best players, who prefer to go to Spain, Italy, England or Germany. That's ********.
Sure,we have high taxes, but that's the result of broader political choices. You can disagree with those choices, but you can't just ask for a certain category of people (which happen to be those who already earn the highest salaries) to be exempted from paying taxes, just because they would pay lower taxes elsewhere.

As for the argument about their short careers, I think it's misleading too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius View Post

NHL careers last only so many years and he will never make this kind of money again in his life. Those studies you're talking about are people who make that predictably over their entire career. Pro sports is a 5-10 year sprint, after which your earnings go down significantly and never adjust for inflation over your life.
It's true, they won't make as much money for the rest of their lives. But it doesn't mean they won't have revenues after they stop playing. These guys can find regular jobs after their hockey careers. (I'm not even speaking about hockey related jobs, a lot of them start their own business aterwards) Sure, their earnings will go down significantly, but they can still get normal earnings, like you and me.

I've always found it baffling to see regular people, with normal salaries, arguing that athletes should earn even more money, and complaining that it's unfair that they're paying such high taxes.

grrrreg is offline   Reply With Quote