View Single Post
Old
05-09-2008, 11:17 AM
Lucius

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by grrrreg View Post
It's true, they won't make as much money for the rest of their lives. But it doesn't mean they won't have revenues after they stop playing. These guys can find regular jobs after their hockey careers. (I'm not even speaking about hockey related jobs, a lot of them start their own business aterwards) Sure, their earnings will go down significantly, but they can still get normal earnings, like you and me.

I've always found it baffling to see regular people, with normal salaries, arguing that athletes should earn even more money, and complaining that it's unfair that they're paying such high taxes.
I'm not arguing they should make more money or even saying the taxes are unfair. All I'm saying is that if I were faced with the option of taking in 6 or 4 million a year, I'd choose 6 and I will never blame anyone who makes that same decision.

I just think people are being naive when they claim people should go play for their favorite or childhood team regardless of the fact that such a decision might cost someone like Briere $15 million over the life of his contract.

Whether or not hockey players should make that kind of money is a different question, but I cannot blame them for maximizing their revenues. I am willing to bet that most everyone on this forum if offered two comparable jobs with a salary difference of $10,000 would likely take the one that paid more. Yet, somehow, we judge hockey players for doing this when the numbers are not even in the same stratosphere.

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote