View Single Post
Old
05-09-2008, 02:27 PM
Lucius

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs_Apostle View Post
Yes but if you're making 4 million a year for 5-10 years, you'll make more than someone who makes 50,000 a year over the course of their lifetimes. So I think the studies are still relevant.

But just use common sense man. I mean, what is the extra 2 million a year going to give you? How exactly is that extra 2 million a year going to improve the quality of your life? Being able to buy a home with a few more acres or another porsche will markedly improve my happiness? Come on, you can't be serious. I'm pretty sure I could make myself and my family materially comfortable with the 4 million a year I'll earn over the course of my career. After a certain amount of materialism, the gains in the quality of your life will be negligable. After that you're going to have to derive meaning and fulfillment from some other source.

So knowing that materially I'm set for the rest of my life, why the hell would I give up on my dream to play for my childhood hockey team? Am I missing something here? Yeah, I'll take an extra 2 million a year (which will likely end up sitting in the bank until the day I die after which my kids will inherit it) and play for a team I couldn't care less about.
Millions of dollars is big, but when you only make them for a few years, it's not going to "set them for life", really. They will not only work, they will need to work and the bigger the nest egg they make young the less they have to worry as they age.

And when you take someone like Bunnestrom, he has no personal reason to play in Montreal. It makes much more sense for him to go somewhere warm and with peers (Swedes his age).

Briere, on the other hand, has probably seen the ringer we put French players through and wanted to play with friends in Philly.

I see your point about quality of life, but honestly, Montreal isn't 2 million dollars a year better than any other NHL city. If the team was in Eastern Europe or something, I might see your point.

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote