View Single Post
Old
05-10-2008, 10:25 AM
WeThreeKings

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean View Post
After seeing a lot of Piques games this year, I can safely say that Giroux shoudln't have been playing in the Q this year, but in the AHL. He was wayyyyyy too strong for the league. In most games, every time he took control of the puck, he would be a man amongst kids. It was absolutely sickening. In the playoffs, he put Voracek in his backpocket from the get go. Voracek was not even CLOSE to Giroux's magnificience and game savvy. Voracek was contained pretty easily, compared to Giroux.

Before getting Quesnel and complete a better 2nd line unit, the Piques' offence was on Giroux's. All teams had to do was shut down his line and that was it. And it happened on some nights. But on others, boy...

The only reason why Giroux didn't finish 1st in points this season was because of the worlds. If he would have stayed in the league, my guess is he would have finished with at least 10 points over his closest opponent. The playoffs proved it.

The guy was too strong for the Q.
I don't really care that we didn't pick Giroux. He's not going to bring anything new to this team that's not already in place or coming up. Sure he's got offensive talent, but in the WJC he showed he was inconsistent at key times. He's not big, he doesn't play big and wouldn't add that much different of a dynamic to our offence.

I can certainly see why our scouts went for Fischer instead. You don't get too many smooth skating defencemen with the offensive upside and hockey smarts of Fischer who is as tall as he is. He needs to put on weight and he's got a long developmental road in front of him, but if he becomes what the scouts thought he would, well, he's going to be a commodity that's seldolm seen around the NHL. I prefer that risk than to add another soft-ish offensive player who put up big numbers in the Q.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote