View Single Post
Old
05-22-2004, 02:35 PM
You 'Orns!

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr7andcounting
pretty sure all the CBA's of the major leagues here in the US include no loan clauses. It's not done in the NHL, NFL, NBA or MLB because each of these player associations have made it illegal through CBA negotiations over the years. It used to be done way back when, especially in baseball, but not anymore.

With that said, the reason you see it in European hockey as well as soccer is because I don't believe they have player associations over there.
I don't know about hockey, but soccer does have an international players union, FIFPro. I don't think it's as powerful as the NA sporting unions, though, because it covers all professional players, including those in lower leagues, not just the millionaires, who's wants and needs are often different. It also does its negotiations directly with FIFA, which is probably more powerful than the UN.

Soccer players often help their careers with loans, and while it can't be fun to be sent off by your team on loan, it is usually more important to these guys to get first-team play. If they don't want to go on loan, they have gained more rights to stop the deals. For a prime case, look at Fernando Morientes.

Last edited by 007: 05-22-2004 at 02:40 PM.