View Single Post
Old
05-11-2008, 10:04 PM
SOLR

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by amnesiac View Post
If you sign Hossa long-term, forget about Vinny next year. Agreed?

They may as well try and get a cheaper Rolston or Malone for a couple years, and go for Vinny long-term when Koivu and Kovalev's contracts are up. I really doubt you can have both Hossa and Vinny long-term and expect to sign: Markov, Komisarek, Plekanec, Higgins, both Kostitsyns, and eventually Price in a couple years (with which I hope they try to do a DiPietro type deal).

I like Hossa and all, but $9 mil per for 6+ years for guy who struggled this season is a little risky. Even with the cap going up, its all relative to the RFA signings who will be asking for more anyway.
1) Not at all. We can have Hossa AND Vinny. But Vinny would mean the end of the road for Koivu and Kovalev. We still have a ton of salary to get off the books. Dandenault, Bouillon(overpaid), Last year buyouts etc Kostopoulos, Begin, we wont need those highly paid grinders if we have those 2 top talents and our current crop of RFAs+new rookies. Yes it might get tight, but thats the reality for all teams, it might lead to a trade involving Higgins for a draft pick(top 10 pick anyone?) if Maxpac develops well. Overall the rule is simple, sign all those top quality UFA and THEN do whats necessary to get under the cap. If Pittsburgh is able to manage 2 9m salaries I really dont see why we couldnt.

2) You cannot and should not manage in prevision of something that we might not even have a chance at. Imo, the correct attitude is a relentless desire to try at every opportunity.

SOLR is offline   Reply With Quote