View Single Post
Old
05-12-2008, 02:57 PM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
Why would you be surprised O'B was an All Star? yea 2 goals isn't impressive but your talking about a stat that doesn't reflect his play. He's not an offensive defensemen and likely never will be, although he does have a cannon of a shot. It's what he does in his own end that matters most for him. And in Hamilton he was good imo. I agree he needs to play more physical, perhaps it's a lack of confidence, cause one things for sure, he can crush people as I have been watching him do so for the last 5 years, but in the nhl it seemed more of a rare thing. I do expect that he will be more physical and I've said in the past, give him 2 years and hopefully we'll really start to see he become a solid nhler.
Not to mention AHL stats can often mean nothing. Corey Locke as an example.
Heck, Sheldon Souray had 2 goals and 13 points over his one full season in Albany. Souray also had a howitzer, but couldn't hit the net. If O'Byrne can work on accuracy he could eventually be a tool we could use on the PP if we wanted. That would just be bonus play from him, since he's already pretty much as good as Souray in his own end.
Quote:
There's no hype from me. I said back when he was with the Pete's he could end up a 4th liner one day. I personally like what I've seen from him and I've watched him w/Petes/Cyclones/Dogs. He's a guy that will do whatever he can to help his team win. He's got good speed/skating, plays with energy, hits, will drop the gloves and can chip in some offense.
I was just surprised to see him ahead of Conboy. Probably due to him being nearer to playing in the NHL, but it's a matter of individual perspective on rankings I suspect.

coolguy21415 is offline   Reply With Quote