View Single Post
Old
05-12-2008, 06:22 PM
LV Hab

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habbiebo0gie View Post
YES FINALLY A THREAD THAT MAKES SENSE . Wow, reading all those ridiculous I WANT HOSSA/MALONE/ROLSTON/EVERY BIG UFA OUT THERE threads really got to me.

Taking into account our GM's tendencies, this post is the clearest assessment of our off-season that I have read. However, I think there is a realistic chance that Bob Gainey ends up staying put this summer, even more so than the last one. We got Hamrlik last time, and I wouldn't be surprised if we do not sign a single player of that caliber/contract this time around. We have quite a few RFAs coming up, and dishing out big longterm contracts to guys like Hossa really wouldn't help Gainey's long-term plan.

Also, if Bob does end up making a relatively important move this summer, I think it will likely be via the trade-route. The UFA market really isn't worth it, because to be honest, the players available do not impress me considering the amount of money they will get. A trade would make more sense for the Habs, because we have a few young players/prospects that could potentially be moved (for the right price), because of the depth available.

There is also a possibility of trading some guys with minimal value (Grabovski?) for draft picks (3rd round or later), because we all know Gainey/Timmins love draft picks, and rightfully so. Some have speculated that we may want to move up in the 2008 draft (our 2nd rounder up to 35th or so?), but given Timmins' past record, I think that acquiring a few extra picks would be a good investment. Of course, the assets that would be moved in such a case would be players that have a minimal chance of cracking our lineup (given the depth we currently enjoy).

Anyways, although I understand that many of us enjoy speculating, sometimes modifying major parts of a lineup that just finished 1st in the conference is simply not realistic.

You seem to be contradicting yourself a little bit in this post. You say modifying major parts of a lineup is simply not realistic, while you say a trade is more likely than signing a UFA. To sign a UFA means that you do not subtract anything from your roster, while a trade most likely means the Habs are losing a key prospect or a player from the core ie: O'Byrne, Higgins, Lats, etc.

Gainey clearly expressed his intentions to go after an A list forward at the deadline this past year. I highly doubt he is no longer interested in that kind of a forward now that he doesn't have to give up any of his assets. He stated at the end of the season that he had defined the goaltending situation, on defense the Habs have many players signed long-term (so chances of him adding there seem unlikely) and that he would like to add a forward to the team.

With the departures of Smoke, Huet, Ryder, Breezer?, Streit? and maybe a buyout of Dandenault that clears around 12 million this year. The team were around 4-5 under the cap already and the cap is going up another 4 mil. IMO with the amount of cap space Gainey has been able to create, in addition to next year being the centennial you better believe he is going after the big names this summer. Hossa is the only UFA that Gainey would sign long-term and his contract wouldn't affect Gainey's ability to keep the core together...

LV Hab is offline   Reply With Quote