View Single Post
Old
05-17-2008, 12:27 AM
Stripes

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by frito View Post
Because they are the only ones the ice getting paid to be there. Everybody else is paying for the privilege to play. And we all have to get up and go to work the next day, at least those of us that aren't independently wealthy anyway.
Referees have to get up the next day to go to work too. What referees get paid at the rink is more or less pocket change. It's not enough to consider it a job.

I understand your point. You have to work for your living, so you don't want to get hurt. That said, you have to realize that the referees you get in adult rec hockey are doing it as a hobby. If somebody slashes you in the face, charge him with assault with a weapon, whether the referees call anything or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
All a Ref need do is start ejecting the players who abuse them...word travels fast. Adults should be able to control themselves. As for the Refs being abused constantly, I blame the Ref. It is their failure to control/stop abuse of themselves and participants that invariably makes their job and our games so miserable. It is well with in ANY Refs ability to assure that they are treated with the respect that is generally due them. The rules are written for all to read. ENFORCE THEM or take off the stripes.
The whole "referees lost control" excuse is just that.. an excuse for not controlling yourself. This is RECREATIONAL hockey, not the NHL. We can call all the penalties in the world, and it's not going to stop a player from doing what he wants to do when he is not controlling his own actions.

Don't think that tossing players for abusing you is going to stop it. The last time I tossed a rec player for the abuse, I ended up having to toss half his team right then and there because it just brought on more abuse. Then I got chewed out by the guy who ran the league. He told me I need to take more abuse and let the players play... so I said, "go **** yourself and find another referee".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balmer15 View Post
That's true!And if you're a strict ref, should you not play clean too?
I wasn't a clean player when I played and reffed at the same time. I would take my opportunities to make life hell for forwards in front of my goaltender's crease. I used my stick to lay bruises on legs as much as I did for breakout passes and shots on goal. I also never said a damn word to a referee when I got caught. There are limits though. If you get suspended as a play. (That's actually the rule in BC Hockey.) If you ever get a penalty for abuse of official, you should be done, period.

Stripes is offline   Reply With Quote